With less than a week to go until the start of the AAA, and no time to properly pull this off, I hereby announce that we will be annoucing the winners of the 1st annual Savage Minds Awarding of teh Excellents Contest on Saturday evening at 6pm in the lobby of the Hilton. ( We’ll also make sure to announce where the party is at that point). Which means it’s time to VOTE!!!
I will be there with a bell and a whistle, or some other noise maker like a cute little girl, to draw attention to my stupid antics, at which point I will announcingly annouce the nominees and winners in three categories:
As you will have noticed, the category I wanted to award something to–that of best OA article is gone. I will instead recite an impromtu Eulogy for the absense of Open Access research in our discipline. Or maybe not.
Prizes will range from signed and numbered copies of print-outs of Savage Minds posts (suitable for Framing!) to cases of Artic Man Deoderant to valuable caches of cowrie shells and dried beans.
A NOTE on the voting: I decided to use Mako Hill’s awesome Selectricity Tool. It allows you to calculate the vote in all kinds of ways so we can conceivably have many winners depending on how we count ! What better way to encourage cultural relativism! Go and Vote! Tell your friends.
The Nominees are:
Most Excellent Blog
- Owen Wiltshire’s “Another Anthro Blog”
- Lorenz Khazaleh’s “Antropologi.info“
- “Material World” (Haidy Geismar, Daniel Miller, Graeme Were, Patrick Laviolette)
- Erkan Saka, “Erkan’s Field Diary”
- Alexandere Enkerli’s Linguistic Anthropology
- Maximilian Forte’sOpen Anthropology
- Culture Matters
(Greg Downey, Joana Breidenbach, Nursel Guzeldeniz, Jovan Maud, Pal Nyiri, Stephen Cox, Lisa Wynn)
Most Excellent Uncategorizable Digital Thing-a-ma-job for Anthropology
- The Center for History and New Media’s Syllabus Finder (Dan Cohen, Producer)
- Digital Ethnography, (Mike Wesch, Producer)
- Open Context, Eric Kansa, Producer
- Mukurtu Wumpurrarni-kari Archive :: An Indigenous Archive Tool (Kim Christen and Craig Dietrich, Producers)
- Neuroanthropology (Which was also nominated for Best Blog, but I’m spreading the love unilaterally)
- Alan MacFarlane’s gloriously heterogenous collection of Anthro Stuff
Most Excellent Gold OA Journal (Which is also the de facto best Category Not Listed in the original post)