Select publications by Savage Minds contributors:
Uzma Z. Rizvi
- 2015. “Crafting Resonance: Empathy and Belonging in Ancient Rajasthan.” Journal of Social Archaeology. Vol. 15(2) 254–273.
- 2015. “Theorizing Deposition: Transitional Stratigraphy, Disruptive Layers and the Future.” E-Flux, posted July 8. Commissioned by RAQS Media Collective, as a special issue on Supercommunity for the 56th Venice Biennale.
- 2015. D”ecolonizing Archaeology: On the Global Heritage of Epistemic Laziness.” Two Days After Forever: A Reader on the Choreography of Time, Edited by Omar Kholeif, Sternberg Press. Reader for the 56th Venice Biennale, Cyprus Pavillion.
- 2013. (editor, with S.Abraham, P.Gullapalli, & T. Raczek) Connections and Complexity: New Approaches to the Archaeology of South Asia, Walnut Creek, CA: Left Coast Press.
- 2010. (editor, with Jane Lydon) World Archaeological Congress Research Handbook on Postcolonial Archaeology, Walnut Creek, CA: Left Coast Press.
- 2010. Arrested Histories: Tibet, the CIA, and Memories of a Forgotten War. Duke University Press.
- 2012. “Self-Immolation as Protest in Tibet.” Special issue of Cultural Anthropology. Co-edited with Ralph Litzinger.
- 2012. “Mao in Tibetan Disguise: History, Ethnographic Theory, and Excess.” HAU: Journal of Ethnographic Theory 2(1): 213-245.
- 2010. “The Uses of Anthropology in the Insurgent Age.” In Anthropology and Global Counterinsurgency, eds. John D. Kelly, Beatrice Jauregui, Sean T. Mitchell, and Jeremy Walton. Chicago: U of Chicago Press.
- 2008. Anthropology at the Dawn of the Cold War. Dustin M. Wax, ed. New York: Pluto Press.
- “Introduction: Anthropology at the Dawn of the Cold War”, Pp. 1-16.
- “Organizing Anthropology: Sol Tax and the Professionalization of Anthropology”, Pp. 133-142.
- 2007. Book Review: Sex and Pleasure in Western Culture. Archives of Sexual Behavior 37(3): 471 – 472.
- 2006. God Gene. In Encyclopedia of Anthropology. H. James Birx, ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. Pp. 1093-4.
- 2013. “Participatory Television: Convergence, Crowdsourcing, and Neoliberalism,” Communication, Culture, and Critique. 6, 3, p. 372-395 24 p.
- 2012. w/ Srinivasan, R. “Digital Labor is the New Killer App,” New Media and Society. 14, 1, p. 137-152 15 p.
- 2011. “Film and Archaeology in the Indigenous and Industrial American West,” Visual Anthropology. 24, 3, p. 246-265 20 p.
- 2011. w/ Kelty, C., Murillo, L., Panofsky, A. & Nguyen, L. “Birds of the Internet: A field guide to understanding action, organization, and the governance of participation,” Journal of Cultural Economy. 4, 2, p. 157-187 30 p.
- 2009. w/ Srinivasan, R. “Internet Authorship: Social and Political Implications within Kyrgyzstan,” Journal of Computer Mediated Communication. 14, 3, p. 559-580 22 p.
- 2014. Leviathans at the Gold Mine: Creating Indigenous and Corporate Actors in Papua New Guinea. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- 2013. Anthropology, footnoted (review of Jared Diamond’s The World Until Yesterday). The Appendix 1 (2): 142-147.
- 2010. “Being in the world (of warcraft): Raiding, realism, and knowledge production in a massively multiplayer online game.” Anthropological Quarterly 83 (1): 17-45.
- 2007. “From agency to agents: Forging landowner identities in Porgera.” In Customary Land Tenure and Registration in Australia and Papua New Guinea: Anthropological Perspectives. ANU E Press.
- 2014 “American Eugenics Movement,” “Biological Determinism,” “Blumenbach and Linneaus,” “Francis Galton,” “Genocide,” and “Racial Taxonomy.” Race and Racism in the United States: An Encyclopedia of the American Mosaic. Greenwood Press: Westport, CT.
- 2012 “Riots.” The Social History of Crime and Punishment in America. SAGE Reference Publications: Thousand Oaks, CA.
- 2012 “Book review – Between Art and Anthropology: Contemporary Ethnographic Practice.” Museum Anthropology Review. Vol. 6, No.1.
- 2011 “Clifford Geertz.” Oxford Bibliographies Online. Oxford University Press.
- 2010 “Tourism in Local History and Experience.” Anthropology News. November.
- 2014 Accounting for Change in African Economies, Anthropology of This Century, Issue 9.
- 2012 Anticipatory Development: Mobilizing Civil Society in Tanzania, Critique of Anthropology 32 (3), 309-333.
- 2011 Calculating Compassion: Accounting for Some Categorical Practices in International Development, in Mosse, D (ed) Adventures in Aidland: The Anthropology of Professionals in International Development, London, Berghahn, 33-58.
- 2010 Making Development Agents: Participation as Boundary Object in International Development, Journal of Development Studies , 46 (7), 1240-1263.
- 2013. “On Movement: The Matter of U.S. Soldiers’ Being After Combat,” Ethnos. 78(3).
- 2013. “War Sick: Meaningful Illness and Military Victimhood,” Focaal: Journal of Global and Historical Anthropology 65(2).
- 2013. Soldier Exposures in Technical Publics, Zoë Wool ed., a critical archival image essay for Public Culture’s media and literature website.
- 2013. w/ Seth Messinger. “Labors of Love: The Transformation of Care in the Non-Medical Attendant Program at Walter Reed Army Medical Center,” Medical Anthropology Quarterly. 26(1).
P. Kerim Friedman
- 2013. “Collaboration against ethnography: How colonial history shaped the making of an ethnographic film.” Critique of Anthropology. December.
- 2011. w/ Shashwati Talukdar. “Please Don’t Beat Me, Sir!” (74 min).
- 2011. “From Thugs to Victims: Dakxin Bajrange Chhara’s Cinema of Justice.” Visual Anthropology Vol. 24, No. 4. September.
- 2010. “Aborigine Education Policy Under the Japanese.” Chapter in volume, Becoming Taiwan, from Colonialism to Democracy. Edited by Ann Heylen and Scott Sommers. Harrassowitz-Verlag.
- 2009. “Ethical Hegemony.” In Rethinking Marxism, July.
- Forthcoming. “Sustainability, ideology, and the politics of development in Cabo Pulmo, Baja California Sur, Mexico.” (Forthcoming, Journal of Political Ecology).
- 2015. “Hope versus critical awareness? Naomi Klein’s This Changes Everything and the Politics of Climate Change in the Classroom.” Anthropology News.
- 2014. w/ Jackson, J. B. “Anthropology and Open Access.” In Cultural Anthropology, 29: 236–26. May.
- 2013. “From one place to another. (2013) Anthropology of Work Review, Volume 34(2):91-93.