Anyone whose been through an introductory anthropology course over the past thirty years is likely to have come across at least a passing mention to the Bushmen of the Kalahari. Well, according to today’s Washington Post there are no more Bushmen in Botswana’s Kalahari Game Reserve.
All but a few of the Bushmen living in Botswana’s Central Kalahari Game Reserve have been forcibly removed from their homes in recent days in what spokesmen for the affected communities said is a final push by the government to end human habitation there after tens of thousands of years.
The First People of the Kalahari, an activist group in Botswana, said that Bushmen villages had been cut off from their main sources of food and water and that outsiders had been prohibited from entering to provide relief for the past six weeks.
The group said a heavy contingent of police, military and park rangers trucked out about 40 people — most of the remaining residents — at gunpoint on Friday and Saturday. The stragglers face constant harassment, it said.
Before forced removals started in the late 90s, there were over 2,000 Bushmen living there.
More from Mother Jones from earlier this year.
UPDATE: Another story from the Washington Post.